THE HISTORY OF PROTECTION ENGINE COMPANY NO. 2
Protection Hose Company No. 2 was formed along with Enterprise Engine Company No. 1 and the New Hyde Park Fire District in August of 1910. The first members of the two newly formed Companies were drawn from members of what was then called the New Hyde Park Hook and Ladder Company No.1. Later in 1910 the New Hyde Park Fire Department was formed by the District Board of Fire Commissioners. This provided the community with more efficient Fire Protection.
Protection Hose Company No. 2 was initially called the Westerners as they would be housed in western New Hyde Park on Jericho Turnpike and Hillside Boulevard. Enterprise Engine Company No. 1 would be called the Easterners and they would be housed on Millers Lane with the Hook and Ladder Company.
Protection Hose Company No. 2 held its first official meeting on November 25, 1910. The Company was organized with 15 Charter Members. The following Charter Members were present at the meeting and the first Company elections were held.
Julius Riedel Jr.
George Simon Jr.
The following were proposed as members of the Company at the meeting.
- The original apparatus was a horse drawn hose cart which was purchased on January 9, 1911. The apparatus was kept in a member’s barn until a house could be built on Jericho Turnpike and Hillside Boulevard. The cost of the building was $60.
- Protection upgraded the horse drawn cart to a motorized
vehicle, the Italia Car that had been converted to a Hose Wagon.
- Dues were 10 cents per month and dances were the popular
form of fundraising at the time, since no money was collected
- By February of 1911, Protection had finalized the Constitution and By-Laws of the Company. They were voted on and passed by the membership on February 27, 1911.
- Stanley Remson and Frederick Ludtemann were nominated as Protection’s first representatives to the Nassau County Firemen’s Association in April of 1911.
- In 1913 Protection instituted an annual tradition of a Company Clambake held each August.
- In 1918 Protection was ready to purchase a new vehicle and move to new quarters. The membership voted on the move, as two different locations were available. One location was south of the railroad tracks and the other location was on 8th street, later renamed South 5th Street. The end result was a move to South 5th Street. In 1926 a Federal Hose Truck was purchased.
- In 1940 new quarters were constructed for Protection Hose Company. In 1941 a Mack pumper was delivered and Protection Hose Company No. 2 was renamed Protection Engine Company No. 2.
- War was declared in December of 1941 and many members of the Department answered the call of duty. PFC Gerard P. Linder, a member of Protection at the time, gave the ultimate sacrifice for his country while fighting for the 102nd Infantry Division, G Company, 405th Infantry Regiment in Germany, 1945.
- In 1952 Protection took delivery of a new Mack Pumper.
- Stanley Nowakowski became Protection’s only Line of Duty Death in February of 1954 while responding to a false alarm.
- In 1956 the annual Corn Party which followed the Floral Park Parade replaced the Clambake. In 1967 Protection replaced the Mack with a new Maxim 1500 GPM Pumper.
- In 1985 Protection took delivery of a specially designed Mack Cab Forward Engine which was built by Hahn with a 1750 GPM pump. At the time it was the largest GPM Pumper on Long Island.
- Protection moved quarters for the last time to the adjoining lot on South 5th Street. The construction began on the new building in 1986 and was completed in 1987.
- The Mack would be replaced in 2004 with a Spartan/Salisbury Engine with a Hale pump.
- Protection Engine Company No. 2 has a proud tradition of being one of the fastest responding Companies on Long Island. The Company has taken part in the Long Island Wild Fires as well as assisting the Fire Department City of New York as a result of the terrorist attacks on 9/11/2001. Protection will continue to serve the residents and businesses of New Hyde Park as well as our neighboring communities.
ACTIVE HOOK & LADDER COMPANY NO. 1, INC
Prior to 1896 there was no organized fire protection in the New Hyde Park area. After a man lost his life as a result of a fire in a hotel on Jericho Turnpike, the residents decided something must be done to prevent another tragedy like this from happening again. On several Saturdays in March, April, and May 1896, the citizens of New Hyde Park and the vicinity held meetings for the purpose of organizing a fire protection service.
the first of these meetings was held on March 14, 1896 on the second floor of Millers Hall, now known as Henry’s Inn. The following is a synopsis of the events that took place then. At the initial gathering on March 14, Augustus Denton called the meeting to order, those present chose him to be the chairman of this committee and for Philip Christ to be the secretary.
A committee of five was appointed to act and find out cost of apparatus and equipment, and were to report back at the next meeting. The subscription committee reported that an account balance of $200 existed. On March 28th, John Hughes made a motion to form a Hook and Ladder Company and call it “New Hyde Park Hook and Ladder Company Number 1”. This motion carried. As well, a motion was made and carried to hire legal counsel for the sole purpose of incorporating this organization. Philip Christ was appointed temporary treasurer and the subscription committee reported a current balance of $362.50.
During the subsequent meeting in April 11th counselor Edward I. Frost presented the certificate of Incorporation and duly acknowledged the signatures of the following Incorporators.
William B. Raynor
Jacob F. Simon
John A. Hushes
John E. Moddle
Philip J. Christ
Walter A. Hughes
Philip J. Miller
George P. Schnurr
William H. Somers
At the May 2nd meeting, A.J. Rave and Jacob F. Simon were appointed as “Tellers” for the election of the officers. After several ballots the following members were elected:
Philip J. Miller
William B. Raynor
George P. Schnurr
Philip J. Christ
John A. Hushes
On May 9th, the By-Laws Committee reported progress. Article six section one was amended to read that the uniform shall consist of helmet, cap, shirt, belt, and shield (there was no mention of pants) and no uniform was to be purchased before January 1, 1897.
Finally on May 23, a motion was made and carried by George Schnurr to donate a building to house apparatus and equipment. A second motion was made and carried by A. Uelins who donated a his services to cut doors on said building no charge. The last order of business on this date was a motion to accept applications for membership at the next May meeting on the 30th.
As an out growth of the New Hyde Park Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 came the founding of the New Hyde Park Fire District early in 1910. Mr. Philip J. Christ who was supervisor of the Town of North Hempstead provided great assistance in securing the resolution for its creation.
The purpose of the establishment of the district was to put the volunteer fire protection services of the community on a more stable basis, permit the residents of the community to have something to say about this service and thus insure its constant progress and efficiency. All of the fire apparatus and equipment were sold by the New Hyde Park Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 to the newly formed fire district.
Later in 1910, the board of the fire commissioners organized the New Hyde Park Fire Department with a nucleus of three companies – Active Hook and Ladder No. 1, Enterprise Hose Company No. 1, and Protection Hose Company No. 2. The Emergency Relief Squad was organized and activated in 1933.
The first major firehouse owned by the taxpayers was constructed on Millers Lane in 1914. In 1940 the Protection Company firehouse on South 5th street was constructed and in 1914 a small garage was donated by the developers of Lakeville Estates and located on Lakeville Road near Hillside Avenue for the use of a contemplated new company.
The method of alerting members of the Fire Department in the event of a fire or other emergency was quite primitive in 1910. It was done by ringing an old locomotive bell acquired from the Long Island Railroad that was hanging in the fire house tower. Subsequently, a siren was installed on the firehouse. By 1930 the needs of the District had grown to such an extent that a new and modern fire alarm system had to be constructed. This was the origin of the Gamewell firebox arrangement with the Nassau County Police Department by telephone. The police reports the incident to the Fire Department, thus sounding the air horns and sirens located on the firehouses.
From 1941, the north end of the district had grown at such a rapid pace that it needs and facilities had to be expanded. The Estates Hose Company No. 3 was organized and activated. The fire alarm system was expanded, fire hydrants were installed and the fire protection service was increased.
One of the most important features of the New Hyde Park Fire Department is the fact that, from top to bottom it is rendered by strictly volunteer personnel, free and without charge or obligation of any kind.
Today, 100 years later, the Active Hook and Ladder Co. #1 is an organization of 45 members strong working side by side with 161 other firefighters that comprise the New Hyde Park Fire Department. Serving the community firematically and otherwise.
ESTATES ENGINE COMPANY HISTORY
The Estates Engine Company was organized by a group of concerned new homeowners in the “Lakeville Estates” development in North New Hyde Park. The organizing members felt that the community of newly built homes needed a fire company that was closer to the neighborhood and appealed to the New Hyde Park Fire District to allow them to form a new fire company. In December 1941, the Estates Hose Company was officially chartered just as the United States was entering World War II.
The plot of land on which the firehouse would eventually be built is said to have been previously used as a storage yard by Klein and Teicholz builders, the primary developers of the Lakeville Estates homes. Klein and Teicholz were responsible for the construction of several thousand homes in the area on lands that were previously potato farms. Lore has it that the parcel of land at Lakeville Road and Manly Place was donated by Klein and Teicholz for the specific purpose of building a firehouse there.
The first firehouse building was also donated to the new Company and was trucked to the site. It was a small wood-frame garage that was heated with a coal stove. Chaplain Leon Korrell once reminisced that the charter members would “chip-in” to purchase a bag of coal to heat the firehouse during meetings and drills. Eventually, the first garage was moved to the gas station located next door and the current building was constructed and was in use by 1943.
Initially, the Estates men were given a 1926 Federal hose wagon to respond to calls. The old Federal was a hand-medown from the Protection Engine Company. The first new engine purchased for the Company was a 1946 Mack. Subsequent engines assigned to the company were a 1955 Mack Model B, a 1969 Young Crusader, a 1983 Mack CF and a 1996 3-D. The ’69 Young was the first engine to be painted white, an Estates tradition that has been upheld ever since. This year, a state of the art 2010 Crimson pumper will be assigned to the Company. Of course, in keeping with tradition, it will be white in color.
Leon Korrell was the longest surviving active charter member of the Estates Engine Company. He served the Department with distinction for 63 years. He is fondly remembered for his kindly demeanor and for his many years of service as Department Chaplain. He was appointed as an honorary chief in celebration of his fiftieth year of service in 1991.
The oldest known surviving charter member of the Company is Edward Graham. Mr. Graham served the Department from 1941 until approximately 1950 when he moved with his family to Florida. On the occasion of his 100th birthday, members of the Estates Engine Company traveled to Florida to participate in his birthday celebration at which time Mr. Graham was ceremoniously appointed as an honorary captain of the Company. Mr. Graham still lives in his own home in Port Richey, Florida and looks forward to celebrating his 103rd birthday this year.
Today, the Estates Engine Company continues to proudly serve the residents of New Hyde Park and uphold the traditions of the New Hyde Park Fire Department. Its members are looking forward to celebrating the Company’s 75th anniversary which will occur in 2016.
The following are charter memebers:
Frank Cloke Edward Graham Eugene Vorhies Patrick McCaffery Thomas Reifenheiser Herman Becker Robert Brown William Furry James Finnegan Edward Fosdick Charles Hanson Theodore Herschfeld Leon Korrell Hubert Mason Asa Masson Fred Mastendino Francis McCarthy Howard Naughton William Nunke George Reich Wilfred Sauve George Wile
A SHORT HISTORY OF THE RESCUE COMPANY
From the time of its founding in 1910, the New Hyde Park Fire Department had no medical assistance unit until the 1930s. In 1933, Chief James Conrad approached the Board of Fire Commissioners and proposed the establishment of a Rescue Company. The Board and the Department approved the plan and men from the existing fire companies were appointed to form the nucleus of the Unit. After a ten week course, each of them was awarded the Basic First Aid Certification by the Red Cross.
The next order of business was to acquire a rescue truck. This was accomplished by having a budget election which was fully supported by the tax payers of the Fire District. Delivery of the first rescue apparatus was planned for 1935.
In the meantime the men of the squad took and passed the Advanced First Aid course given by the Red Cross. They then decided to formalize the creation of a Rescue Company. The District Board approved this action and on February 14, 1934 the Rescue Company was established with the following charter members: Charles Adams, John Betz, Fred Bertram, Francis Conrad, James Evans, Thomas Gruenfelder, Al J. Hopf, August Krage, Frank Lynch, Stanley Moculeski, Julius Ross and Walter Stawecki.
For the next 14 years, the Rescue Company operated at fire scenes providing search and rescue services and on site first aid while relying on mutual aid assistance for the transportation of the injured to hospitals. Increasingly, the need for an ambulance was recognized. After a series of fund raisers, the Company was able to purchase a Cadillac chassis which was presented to the Fire District. Willy Rueck, owner of the New Hyde Park Inn, donated the funds necessary to fabricate an ambulance body on the chassis and the first ambulance was accepted by the Board and placed in service in 1948. Since then, use of the ambulance has increased to the extent that it, alone, provides service for almost two thirds of the calls received by the Department. At the same time, the Rescue Company’s truck continues to respond to all calls for fires, motor vehicle accidents and any other incidents which may occur.
Over the seventy-five years since 1934, the members of the Rescue Company have responded to many thousands of calls for assistance. Their medical expertise has grown from the Basic First Aid provider to Emergency Medical Technician and Paramedic. They look forward to responding to more calls in the future with the same enthusiasm as our founding charter members.
Enterprise Engine Company #1
Enterprise Hose Company was organized in April of 1910 with members of the New Hyde Park Hook and Ladder Company, which had been organized in 1896. Frank Ripple one of the Charter members served as the first Captain of the newly formed Company. The first apparatus that was used by the company was a hand drawn hose reel. It was a twowheel cart light enough to be hauled by manpower to a fire. It had a manual hand pump slung beneath which would be set up and a hard suction hose would drop into a cistern or well. In the beginning this apparatus was kept in a shed on Millers lane. Phillip Christ a member of the New Hyde Park Hook and ladder and member of the County Board of Supervisors of the Town of North Hempstead knew the difficulty of financing the fire companies and in his official capacity undertook the creation of the New Hyde Park Fire District. Until than there was no governmental control of firefighting agencies and no power to raise monies through taxation. The fire company was maintained by voluntary contributions by the people of the community. Subscription, tag sales and raffles were the mainstay to raise money for the company. In 1914 the new fire District erected the Headquarters building on Miller’s Lane, which housed Enterprise and Hook and Ladder. In September 1926 Enterprise took possession of Ahrens Fox Pumper. This was a beautiful piece of apparatus with a large Chrome ball located on the front. It was fondly known as Old Betsy and was in service protecting the New Hyde Park Fire District until 1948. The original fire bell from this apparatus is on Display in the Enterprise Company room.
For our 75th anniversary in 1985 Milton Baer a 75- year member of Enterprise recalled because there was no heat, during the winter the pumps and tanks had to be drained. The firehouse was never locked and open to all, and keys were not issued. Even though the commissioners were responsible for providing equipment money was still scarce. Each fireman paid for his own uniform and 50 cents for his badge. Dues were 10 cents payable at each meeting. Although firefighting was the service raising money by contribution always loomed large. There were raffles, block parties, tag sales card parties and theatrical performances held at headquarters on Miller’s Lane and the Park theatre. In the early years Enterprise was a huge supporter of the Racing team. On one occasion proceeds of a raffle went to the purchase of a Marmon Speed Wagon. The team won many trophies and ribbons among the most important the Sewanahka High School Trophy in 1930 at Stewart Manor. An important change took place when the New Headquarters Building was built in 1947 and with some sentimental regret they left Miller’s Lane.
Following the Ahrens fox was a 1948 Ward La France., a 1960 Mack 1000 Gpm Pumper. In 1972 Enterprise received the keys for the first Diesel Apparatus in the Department a Yellow Maxim 1500 GPM Engine know as the “yellow Beast”. In 1985 we received a Custom designed Mack/Hahn 1750 GPM Engine. A sister truck to 172. In 2004 Enterprise and Protection took delivery of new state of the art Spartan/Saulsbury Engines. Both trucks Identical but different.
Currently Enterprise is made up of 40 Active members. Times have changed from the early beginning of the Company. The Board of Fire Commissioners supplies the Department with the newest and best equipment. Safety is the utmost importance. The firehouse’s are locked securely and have all the creature comforts you can think of. However fundraising still plays an important roll in the day-to-day operation of the Company.
Charter Members of Enterprise Engine Company #1
J. Nicholas Krug
August A. Krug
William C. Umstadt
Fred W. Simon
Chas. A. Petry
Edward L. Martise
George E. Christ
Jesse H. Hudtrain
Rudolph E. Meyer
George A Rolly
Chas. J. Umstadt